Re: dired-do-shell-command as "bash program"

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: dired-do-shell-command as "bash program"
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 06:49:07 -0600

Torben Knudsen wrote:
"David" == David Hansen <david.hansen@gmx.net> writes:

David> On Fri, 09 May 2008 08:37:07 +0200 Torben Knudsen wrote:
How can i do dired-do-shell-command as "bash program" in the sense
that I can keep working with my emacs also when the started program
runs just as it was started from a shell with a & at the end.

David> Append a `&'.  `*' and `?' are interpreted as one would expect.
David> E.g. for a single file do "program ? &" if you have marked
David> multiple files: "program * &".

Works fine but I use defaults from dired-guess-shell-alist-user and I
can't figure out how to avoid typing the default myself to get this
working.  If I type the command myself it works perfectly.

`M-n' should insert the default in the minibuffer, for any command.

David> One drawback is that you can only run one async shell command
David> at the time or you have to rename the output buffer.

Not a big problem for me.

Thanks for the answer.

--
Kevin Rodgers