Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail

From: reader
Subject: Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:30:39 -0500

> On Wed, Jun 11 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>
>> I know there is a format one can use to cite a section of the emacs
>> manual inside mail or a post, but could not find that format in the
>> emacs manual with a few (possibly badly aimed) regex searches.
>
> Does this help?
>
> ,----[ <f1> f rs-info-insert-current-node RET ]
> | rs-info-insert-current-node is an interactive Lisp function in `rs-info'.
> | (rs-info-insert-current-node style &optional noinsert)
> |
> | Insert reference to current Info node using style in buffer.
> |
> | If noinsert (the prefix), return the string instead.
> |
> | Possible styles (must be a symbol):
> | - `emacs' (Emacs style): (info "(file)node")
> | - `emacs-press': as `emacs' plus a note about `C-x C-e'
> | - `emacs-keys-goto' (Emacs key sequence): `C-h i g (file)node RET'
> | - `emacs-keys-menu' (Emacs menu key sequence): `C-h i d m file RET m node
> RET'
> | - `custom-manual': ":link '(custom-manual "(file)node")" for `defcustom'
> | - `info-link': ":link '(info-link "(file)node")" for `defcustom'
> | - `texinfo-ref-full': A full "@ref{...}" for Texinfo
> | - `texinfo-ref': "@ref{...}" for Texinfo within the same file
> | - `gnus' (the Gnus home brewed style): <info://foo/bar+baz> (deprecated)
> | - `gnome' (GNOME style): <info:foo#bar_baz>
> | - `kde' (KDE style): <info:(foo)bar baz>
> | - `konqueror' (Konqueror style): <info:/foo/bar baz>
> |
> | When used interactively, the default is taken from `rs-info-style-alist'.
> |
> | For `emacs' and `emacs-press' style see the variable
> | `rs-info-goto-node-string'.
> `----
>
> See:
> ;; rs-info.el -- Some info related functions
> ;; Author: Reiner Steib <Reiner.Steib@gmx.de>

Reiner, thanks.. lots of info there... sorry to be so dense but I'm
still not getting how these urls are generated.  Is it only done
manually? That is, one simply types out the url (info "(file)node") By
reading the top of an info page?

Trying a few of those using something like:
    M-x rs-info-insert-current-node
or
    M-x rs-info-goto-node-string
Just shows no-match while inside info.

Evans Winner <thorne@timbral.net> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>
>     I know there is a format one can use to cite a section
>     of the emacs manual inside mail or a post, but could not
>     find that format in the emacs manual with a few
>     (possibly badly aimed) regex searches.
>
>     Can someone aim me at the section that describes the
>     format of those URL type citations of the m?
>
> I am not sure about a reference to that, but maybe you mean
> things like this --
>
>     (info "(cl)Assertions")
>
> -- which can be evaluated inside Emacs and will start info
> in the ``cl'' section, in the subsection ``Assertions,'' for
> instance.  It is sort of an odd syntax, I suppose.

Yes, thats the one.  Can that be generated somehow or do we have to
type it out while referencing those elements on the top of an info
page?