Re: No copy when killing

From: Xah
Subject: Re: No copy when killing
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:44:28 -0700 (PDT)

just a brief follow up on this thread in case others read this thread
in the future.

After 2 days, i've ended my experiment on using deleting word/line
shortcuts that doesn't push to the kill ring. My prelimary conclusion
is that it's not as convenient as emacs default way, of pushing any
deleted word/line into the kill-ring/clipboard.

My brief thinking is this... whether deleted text are pushed into the
clipboard is a more useful interface, depends on this:

• Whenever a user does a sequence of deletes of a word or line, is the
existing content in the clipboard useful?

Most of the time, the answer is no. Further, when deleting a line,
often it is useful that the deleted text be pushed into the clipboard
as to be immediately pasted somewhere.

my brief experience of using the non-kill version is that,
whenever i delete a line and needed to paste the deleted text
somewhere else, thet non-kill version forced me to increases keystroke
by 1 or 2. A rough guess on the frequency of deleting a line that
needs to be pasted elsewhere, is about maybe 1 out of 20 of every
delete word/line operation.

Also note, that the situation needing the content of clipboard intact,
does not happen very often. (from past decade of emacs using, my guess
is that it happens once a week) The reason must be that clipboard are
often used in such a way that after something is copied, a paste
operation immediately follows, and that the clipboard content is no
longer useful. So, in general, it is rare that clipboard content
remains in a useful state for durations longer than few seconds.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/

☄