Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs vs. TextMate (not trying to start an editor war)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:55:20 +0900

Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com> writes:
> Well, maybe you haven't been looking for a mode that *works* for web
> development, as that's what we were talking about in this thread. There
> are editors like TextMate which is only a few years onld and can handle
> that much better than Emacs can do it now.
>
> Again, I am not sure why this is happening but the truth is, I need to
> write code (for web) easier not go learn another language to figure out
> if I can create a mode to help me write code, cause that takes time
> which I don't have right now.

AIUI, textmate's internal engine was written specifically to support this
kind of nested mode well, so it's not surprising that it does so.  Emacs
does not have this sort of special support.

So if you compare them in that specific case, textmate looks pretty
good.  However it's far from clear that textmate would fare as well in a
more general comparison.

-Miles

--
If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten.  [George Carlin]