Re: possible to exchange server and client?

From: anhnmncb
Subject: Re: possible to exchange server and client?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 08:20:45 +0800

> Am 13.07.2008 um 03:10 schrieb anhnmncb:
>
>> So it would be very useful if I can exchange the client to server, and
>> old server becomes client, then I can use server in X, then I want to
>> quit X without emacs, I open a emacsclient in console, make it be
>> server, then quit X.
>
> I don't exactly understand what you intend to do. And wish to have.
> When you're using a version of GNU Emacs with the multi-tty patch
> included, i.e., GNU Emacs 23.0.60 from CVS, it works to have "frames"
> of this version open in a windowing system and in an alphanumeric
> terminal emulation. So, in other words, it should work to launch GNU
> Emacs 23.0.60 in your console, start the server, and then open frames
> in X11 with emacsclient, just use -d <display> as an extra argument.
Pardon for my poor English, my emacs version is
  GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2008-07-13 on gentoo

I have this thought because emacs server works better than emacsclient.
An example: I start emacs server in a dtach session in console, and use
emacsclient in Xorg. But I meet bug when using org-mode with
emacsclient, emacs server works well though. So if I want org-mode works
well, I have to use emacs server.

But when I run emacs server on Xorg, in this case, it becomes impossible
if I want to restart Xorg without quiting emacs. So I want to know, in
this condition, if I can start an emacsclient in console, then let it
become server(old emacs server on Xorg becomes client now), then close
the emacs(old server) on Xorg, restart Xorg, run emacsclient, let it
become server again? If can, I can restart Xorg without quiting emacs.

Don't know if this time I express myself clearly, if not, please let me
know.
--
Regards,

  anhnmncb