Re: how to move the contents of the buffer one line up/down?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: how to move the contents of the buffer one line up/down?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 13:14:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 5:49 am, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Tamas K Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Sorry for my ignorance, but on most standard PC keyboards, <prior> and
> > <next> would be PgUp and PgDown?
>
> I think so.  To confirm it, type C-h k PgUp and see if its name is <prior>

One of emacs's problem that set back today's programers from adapting
it is obsolete terminologies. The key names such as <prior>, <next>,
RET, is one of them. (and Meta, of course)

It would be good, if a major new release of emacs, support and use
throughout names like <PageUp> or <return> etc instead (The <return>
is already supported by at least emacs 22, but not used or widely used
in emacs documentations). With this, user don't have to go “huh?” when
reading web pages, guides, blogs, or discussions about typing some
keystrokes or keybindings, etc. (whenever we get a question about
this, we can probably assume 10 or more users had the same question
but didn't bother to ask)

For some detail on changes i think that's more critical changes yet
easy to make, please see:

 http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/