Re: add many subdirs to load-path

From: Xah
Subject: Re: add many subdirs to load-path
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:42:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 14, 6:16 pm, Joe Bloggs <w...@cares.invalid> wrote:
> Does anyone know a quick way of adding/deleting/testing lots of subdirs in
> load-path?
> I am trying to upgrade from emacs 21 to emacs 22. I have a lot of packages
>  installed in subdirs of my site-lisp folder, not all of which are compatible
> with
>  emacs 22. This means I have to tediously sorting through my load-path which
> is very long.
> Any helpful comments appreciated

i looked at my load-path and was suprised it's also long, 60 dirs.
However, vast majority came with Emacs install itself (its Carbon
Emacs on the mac). I only have maybe added 5 paths in my “.emacs”.

not sure there's a optimal way...

basically, emacs packages you installed for yourself shouldn't be in
site-lisp. So that, when it comes to upgrade emacs, you really need to
deal with a few you added in your “.emacs”.

but maybe you are a sys admin and placed things in a special site-lisp
for all users on a server. Still, there must be a file somewhere in
which you did the add-to-list on load-path. Just edit that file then.
Put each path in a line by itself, then comment out lines you want or
don't want, and much trial and error with relaunch.

You might also use unix “find” to see just what lisp files on in what
load path, so that can help decide which you want to keep.

That's what i can think of. Best is probably better management of load-
path in the first place.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/