Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:29:27 +0200

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:26, Bastien Guerry <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Adopting Emacs terminology is not good per se, it's good because it
> helps people adopt Emacs.

Adapting Emacs terminology to current conventions would perhaps be
good for the very same reason.

I'm not for or against changing Emacs' terminology. I think it would
be a huge amount of work. But I don't understand why some people
reacts as if the very idea is flawed. There's nothing sacred in
"buffer" and "keybinding" and "minibuffer", just history. The change
should be susceptible to rational (if perhaps a bit pointless)
discussion, because it is not hard to find good arguments for it;
"frame/window" vs "window/pane" is a good example.

  Juanma