Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 12:23:32 +1000

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videotape_format_war
>
> It's not evident that Beta was superior, and it's not evident either
> why one format won over the other(s). There were multiple factors at
> play. Still, if Emacs turned to be the Beta of programmer editors,
> technical excellence would be small consolation.

I disagree. If you had anything to do with professional recording and or
broadcasting, you would have found that BETA was by far the preferred
choice. In fact, up until digital really took over, nearly every
broadcasting and recording studio I worked in used BETA.

Technical excellence and how relevant it is depends on the user
base. For me and the work I do, it is critical and I will select
technical excellence over popularity any day.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au