Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Andreas Eder
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:47:38 +0200

Hi Xah,

    Xah> On Jul 29, 3:25 pm, Andreas Eder <address@hidden> wrote:
    >> Hi Xah,
    Xah> I don't see my suggestion for emacs to adapt the “Alt+‹key›” notation
    Xah> should be classified as a “feature”. Between Feature and Bug, i'd say
    Xah> it's a bug, if forced.
    Xah> Remember, in my article
    Xah> The main reasons i gave are:
    Xah> • Universally understood
    Xah> • Identical To Key's Label
    Xah> • Meta is Alt in practice
    Xah> • Keyboards don't have Meta key today
    >> But this just plain wrong! My Alt key does *not* generate Meta but
    >> Alt (what a surprise) and I have a different key that generates
    >> Meta. Meta is not Alt, not even in practice.

    Xah> Did you customize your emacs?

No, that hasn't got anything to do with emacs. It is a question of
keyboard drivers and X11 keymaps. I did not change anything
related to keys in emacs.
I even have super and Hyper keys by the way.

    Xah> My argument is applied to default emacs on Windows, Mac OS X, and
    Xah> Linux...

    Xah> Also, what keyboard and OS are you on?
It is a cherry linux keyboard and the OS is FreeBSD.
But as I already said, it hasn't got anything to do with that. It
is merely a question of setting up the right keyboard drivers and
layouts and you have your keys as you like them in any application
not just emacs.

ceterum censeo redmondinem esse delendam.