Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:34:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 31, 12:07 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:20:35 -0700 (PDT)Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> In that case I suggest you start by making your change suggestion
> >> through the proper channels, not in this newsgroup.  I don't feel like
> >> explaining to you basic facts about man-hours, volunteer labor, and the
> >> hundreds of thousands of Emacs users that would deal with that change.
> >> Again, I'm not being rude, just unwilling to spend my time explaining
> >> all this when you don't appear to have any experience writing manuals,
> >> software, or doing user support.
>
> X> Can you keep to topic instead giving me extraneous advice?
>
> Above I listed the things I don't want to explain to you (but, with a
> little brain activity, you could understand for yourself) that make your
> 4 man-hours estimate to implement your proposed change extremely
> unrealistic.  This is very much on-topic.  It's frustrating that you
> simply ignore reasonable answers when they don't suit you.

One thing about argument, especially among newsgroup tech geekers, is
that reasoning and critical thinking is wanting, but lots huff and
puff and sneer. In this thread, i think Eli Zaretskii took the Gold
for huffy-puffy.

Your first post, is very good i think. It has solid technical info, on
topic, and helpful to new emacs users.

> X> For example, i suggest you more books about philosophy, critical
> X> thinking. I don't mean to be rude, but really, reading those books
> X> will help you discuss more fruitfully, even if you don't have real
> X> world experience working in a large software project.
>
> Thanks, I'll put it on my reading list.  My philosophy readings have
> been lax lately, what with the pomegranate garden blooming and the
> seawater distillation plant getting jammed with dolphins and the
> orphanage running low on porridge.  I assume that meanwhile you've been
> working in large software projects.

LOL. Seriously i did not know you were just fucking with me in the
past few messages or what.

No, i have not been working on large software projects. In the past
few years, i lived in my car for a couple years and am currently still
largely a bum.

> X> The proper channel for telling me my use of Alt-‹key› is wrong then
> X> perhaps is email.
>
> I don't care to tell *you* that.  I tried to tell the end user who you
> misled when you used Alt, while the Emacs manual and community uses
> Meta.  That's why I am suggesting footnotes, so your information is not
> misleading but merely verbose.

Yesterday i filed a bug report on this issue. I'm happy to say, it is
received favorably.

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.bug/browse_frm/thread/c92887cbc7c6f843

PS To all, there's a emacs group in Second Life. We can meet and voice
chat. I'm Xah Toll there.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/