Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 06:40:48 -0500

Nikolaj Schumacher <n_schumacher@web.de> writes:
> Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> wrote:
>
>> It is not a tab.  If you have "tabs" going in Emacs (which XEmacs seems
>> to support in some fashion), or are in some other editor with tabs, they
>> are equivalent Emacs' "windows", not buffers.  You could view the same
>> buffer in multiple tabs.  What then?
>
> I don't think you're right here.  Looking at Firefox, for instance, tabs
> there don't correspond to Emacs windows at all.  Each Firefox window has
> a tab-bar that switch between several tabs, just as each Emacs window
> can switch between several buffers.

It depends on how tabs are implemented and conceived of.  If that is how
they are done, you may be right.

When Vim added tabs, however, each frame (of which you could only have
one, actually) could have tabs, and each tab had a set of windows, and
each window could view a buffer.  Tabs behaved more like Emacs frames do
when on a terminal, except that there was a horizontal listing of them
at the top of the screen.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.