Re: New C-h/Delete issue on emacs22.2.1-nox (Xquartz 2.3.0)

From: matt
Subject: Re: New C-h/Delete issue on emacs22.2.1-nox (Xquartz 2.3.0)
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:19:05 -0700 (PDT)

> Then try to reserve another "character" for erase:
>
>         stty erase '^?'
>
> This should free C-h. Obviously I should not have thought of the
> characters but the actions, that are each bound to some character ...

Changing erase gives me back C-h -> help, but makes my "Delete" key
write '^H' in the terminal and do nothing at all in emacs.  However,
when i use the C-DEL, it does delete backwards, and describe-key says
that that combo is just DEL ('backward-delete...).
Also, M-DEL still gives C-M-h.

Could it be that I should switch to an encoding other than ascii?

matt