Re: How to display message persistently in echo area

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: How to display message persistently in echo area
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 19:12:42 +0100

On Sat, Aug 09, 2008 at 01:25:57AM +1000, Tim X wrote:
> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > When I evaluate (message "the message"), "the message" remains in the
> > echo area until, for example, a key press in the current buffer.
> >
> > I'd like to be write a function that behaves like message, but for
> > which the message does not disappear when I start typing. I want it to
> > go away when I next do something that actually uses the echo area /
> > minibuffer. What strategy do people suggest for achieving this aim? Or
> > have I missed something that exists already?
> >
> > [The motivation is in ESS (Emacs Speaks Statistics) which has a nice
> > function that reminds one of function arguments in the echo
> > buffer. Unfortunately I've discovered that I can remember 3 function
> > arguments for less than a couple of seconds.]
> >
> maybe minibuffer-message-timeout will help
>
> ,----[ C-h v minibuffer-message-timeout RET ]
> | minibuffer-message-timeout is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is 2
> |
> | Documentation:
> | *How long to display an echo-area message when the minibuffer is active.
> | If the value is not a number, such messages don't time out.
> |
> | [back]
> `----

AIUI minibuffer-message-timeout controls the following situation:

C-x b C-f [you were about to choose a buffer, but now there's a
message saying 'End of buffer' -- how long is that thing going to be
in the way for if I just sit here and do nothing?]

If I set it to some non-number then the message will stay around
forever, but only if the minibuffer is active. However if I start
typing then AIUI the minibuffer will not be active, and so the variable
doesn't seem to help me.

Dan

p.s. When I evaluate  (setq minibuffer-message-timeout 1), the following
appears in the echo area:

1 (#o1, #x1)

What does that notation mean?