Re: Optimal emacs shell for coding

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Optimal emacs shell for coding
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 18:20:40 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 21:02:21 +0200
>> From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
>> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>> > No, it doesn't.  Please try and see for yourself (I just did).
>>

>> We are miscommunicating.
>
> Maybe you are; I am not ;-)
>
>> I am saying that if I from a shell outside of Emacs do
>>
>>    ls
>>
>> than I get several files listed on each row while the output from
>>
>>    ls | grep some-file
>>
>> implies that ls got the implicit argument -1 when used in the pipe.
>
> And I'm saying that you are wrong: -1 is not implied in a pipeline
> from the shell prompt, either.  Please try that and see for yourself.
> I tried that both on GNU/Linux and in a Windows command prompt window,
> and GNU `ls' does not imply -1 in either case.

Exactly. An you can do another test. Just do

ls | less

all the files are on one line each. this is standard behavior for ls if
you pipe or redirect it away from a tty. It only formats multi-column
output if the output device is a tty, unless you provide the switch to
force single column output. Note also that usually, the number of
columns is a function of the longest filename and the display width. The
concept of 'width' has no meaning with respect to stdout or when
redirecting via | or > etc.

Note that this is 'normal' behavior - if programs output multiple items
per line, it would screw up programs that you pipe into.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au