Enforced wordwrap

From: Eddie
Subject: Enforced wordwrap
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:09:28 -0400

I recently started using Emacs 22.1.1 on Mandriva 2008.1. To my dismay,
I find that this version enforces a hard line break on or before 80
characters in a line.

I've tried adding lines such as

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)

to my .emacs, and also tried

(setq default-major-mode 'fundamental mode)

Neither work.

A lot of my usage is through a Firefox add-on called It's All Text!,
which links a Web text box to the editor of your choice. I fill in Web
forms a couple of hours a day for work; It's All Text! opens a new
iteration of Emacs in every form, and to have to reset the behavior for
every form would be a time sink.

Note: This appears to be something in the Mandriva package. I've been
using Emacs 21 and 22 on an older Ubuntu, and Emacs 23.1 on Pardus, and
there's no enforced wordwrap on any of them. I've asked this same
question on the Mandriva forum, hoping I can catch the eye of some
package developer. But I'd also like to ask here, and I welcome hints as
to where to look in other configuration files to try to find what is
causing this.