Re: Enforced wordwrap

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: Enforced wordwrap
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:48:20 +0200

Eddie <emacslist@flyingturkeys.org> wrote:

> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-off-auto-fill)
>
> to my .emacs, and also tried

Does manually turning it off with M-x auto-fill-mode fix the problem?
(To verify that `auto-fill-mode' is indeed causing this.)

> (setq default-major-mode 'fundamental mode)

That doesn't change anything, because auto-mode-alist will override the
major-mode based on the .txt extension "It's All Text" uses.

> It's All Text! opens a new iteration of Emacs in every form, and to
> have to reset the behavior for every form would be a time sink.

You can probably use emacsclient to re-use the same instance, if you're
interested.  (I use /usr/bin/open on a Mac.)

> Note: This appears to be something in the Mandriva package.

Could you check the value of text-mode-hook with
C-h v text-mode-hook

Also you can try starting Emacs with --no-site-file.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher