Re: Portable emacs devices

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Portable emacs devices
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 14:31:18 -0500

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/24/uk-asus-eee-900s-come-with-stunted-battery-longer-warranty/

RGR> But basically a full keyboard emacs device is all I want, preferably
RGR> with a USB port for later transfer of org files to my main development
RGR> machine.

A while ago I put together an Emacs package for the Nokia 800 (OS 2007
at the time).  The newest version, the N810, has a small slide-out
keyboard with a Control key; you can use ESC to simulate Meta so it's a
decent Emacs console.  The keys are small but it's very portable and
light.  You can always connect a Bluetooth keyboard if needed.

The battery life is excellent: this is a tablet, not a full PC, and it
lasts at least 6 hours with full usage for me.  The screen is 800x600,
which is great too.  It runs Debian underneath and you can get root.  It
has Wi-Fi, GPS, and other niceties.  For full-time use it's not right,
but for up to 2 hours of work it is quite sufficient.

The latest OS is OS 2008, which won't work with the Emacs package I
mentioned.  I'll put one together if you decide to try the N810.  I
haven't done it so far mainly due to lack of time.

Ted