Re: bs-show breaks and get confused about the minibuffer

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: bs-show breaks and get confused about the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:26:59 +0200

I'm not sure what causes it but once it breaks it makes my current emacs
session very hard to use as I can't switch buffers. Basically once it
starts any attempt to execute:

(bs-show "all")

Causes emacs to complain that I "Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer
window" despite not being in the minibuffer. Has anyone ever come across
this sticky minibuffer behaviour and how to get out of it?

Good catch, I suppose.  I've eliminated this stuff in my Emacs for some
time.  Basically, the function no_switch_window defined in buffer.c has

if (EQ (minibuf_window, window))
    return "Cannot switch buffers in minibuffer window";

which prints the error message.  Surprisingly no_switch_window is called
by `switch-to-buffer' as

  err = no_switch_window (selected_window);
  if (err)
    /* If can't display in current window, let pop-to-buffer
       try some other window. */
    return call3 (intern ("pop-to-buffer"), buffer, Qnil, norecord);

so Emacs should ignore this but God knows what really happens.

Please file a bug report and we will (hopefully) take care of it.

martin