Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:42:58 +0200

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jonathan Groll <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the subject of GNU screen and emacs: Bill Clementson wrote a good
> entry on using emacsclient and screen -

Thanks !

That was interesting.

I actually had a similar concern but come up with a different solution.
I use desktop in my main projects directory and in my home directory.
When starting emacs in one of those directories, I start an emacs server
whose name is exported through a environment variable. This variable
has a different value depending on the desktop I used.

After that in my bashrc I do:

export EDITOR="emacsclient -s $EMACS_SERVER_NAME"

and that's it. Each time I start a term in emacs and start an application
that uses EDITOR, it start an emacsclient in the ritght emacs desktop.

But I agree this solution works only inside an emacs term unlike the
solution you pointed out. But that's my first step in "do it all in emacs !"

And as the author said with emacs tty-muti-support, this is now useless.

> Regarding mutt with emacs, there is a page on the emacswiki you may
> want to read:
> It may also possibly be necessary to adjust the colour scheme used in
> .muttrc:
> Personally, I have been using gnu-screen with an emacs server running
> in one window and mutt in another window, based on what Bill
> Clementson wrote.

Thanks again but I'm planning to get rid of mutt and to use either gnus or
mh-e. I need to test both of them first to get an opinion.