RE: Newer version filename completion requires only tab, not space or ta

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Newer version filename completion requires only tab, not space or tab
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:26:31 -0700

> How do I get back to the old behavior so I can use my
> spacebar again for filename completion?

`C-h C-f' gives you the Emacs FAQ.

Then, `i SPC TAB' and choose `SPC file name completion'. You'll see this:

| 10.19 Why doesn't SPC complete file names anymore?
| ==================================================
|
| Starting with Emacs 22.1, `SPC' no longer completes file names in the
| minibuffer, so that file names with embedded spaces could be typed
| without the need to quote the spaces.
|
|    You can get the old behavior by binding `SPC' to
| `minibuffer-complete-word' in the minibuffer, as follows:
|
|      (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map (kbd "SPC")
|        'minibuffer-complete-word)
|
|      (define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map (kbd "SPC")
|        'minibuffer-complete-word)

Unfortunately, there is no index entry for this page that uses the word `space'
- you have to know about the key name `SPC'.

If you use Icicles, however, you can match any parts of a completion (in this
case, an index entry). So you can find this page, for instance, by looking for
both `file' and `complet' (in either order): `i file S-SPC complet' completes
directly to the index entry `SPC file name completion'.