Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 01:16:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 22, 11:25 am, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden>
> On 2008-09-22,XahLee<address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi Erik Fragga,
> > On the subject of RSI, perhaps you should use Dvorak, and you'd be
> > interested in my article here:
> I don't have any RSI problems due to my use of a keyboard.  If you
> read my post, I said clearly that mouse usage is what causes me pain.
> We are talking (I thought) about text interfaces versus GUIs.
> I will add that your proposed key bindings for Emacs, however, would
> indeed cause me problems.  Hitting the ALT key requires contortions
> not required when using the CTRL key (which I've remapped to be on the
> home row of a standard qwerty keyboard).  For that matter, I prefer
> "ESC key" to "ALT+key".  I also prefer C-n and C-p to arrows as I
> don't have to move my hands from the home row (I use several different
> keyboards daily and the arrow keys differ in placement from keyboard
> to keyboard, annoyingly).
> And I am impressed at how my name changed...

if you don't know much about keyboard and ergonomics, i recommend
reading the few articles i've written on the issue. A partial list are

• You Should Not Swap Cap Lock With Control

• How To Avoid The Emacs Pinky Problem (advice on using Control key
with emacs)

• A Review of Microsoft Natural Keyboards

• Computer Keyboards Gallery (photos and commentaries on keyboards
design, efficiency, ergonomics)

• Keyboard Hardware Design Flaws

• The Confusion of Emacs's Keystroke Representation (explains the
notations “C-q C-j”, “\n”, “^J”, “RET” etc.)

• Mac OS X Keybinding and Unicode Tips (system-wide keybinding for OS