Re: Half-QWERTY keyboard minor mode

From: weber
Subject: Re: Half-QWERTY keyboard minor mode
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:30:55 -0700 (PDT)

On 29 set, 11:44, Corey Foote <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I injured my left hand the other day, so I'm typing one
> handed until it recovers. I was wondering if it would be possible to create
> an Emacs
> minor mode which would allow half-QWERTY typing on a regular keyboard. (The
> way half-QWERTY typing works is you hit SPACE-y for t, SPACE-u for r, etc.
> For details on the half-QWERTY keyboard
> see:'mnot much of a LISP
> programmer, so any help I could get on this
> would be most appreciated. Once the minor mode is complete, I will put the
> source code on the Emacs wiki accessibility section. Thanks!
> See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the
> go.

Something like this seems to work:

(define-minor-mode right-hand-qwerty
        "Qwerty for right-hand only typing."
  (let ((keypairs '(("q" "p") ("w" "o"))))
        (dolist (key keypairs)
          (eval `(local-set-key (kbd ,(concat "SPC " (second key))) (lambda
() (interactive) (insert ,(first key))))))
        (local-set-key (kbd "SPC SPC") (lambda () (interactive) (insert "

This helps you?