Re: Strange (to me ) problem with TRAMP

From: Cor Gest
Subject: Re: Strange (to me ) problem with TRAMP
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:34:53 +0000

Some entity, AKA "Lorenzo Isella" <address@hidden>,
wrote this mindboggling stuff:

> Dear All,
> I am experimenting several shells to use within emacs. I am quite
> pleased with eshell, right now, but I am rather puzzled at the strange
> message I get in a separate buffer if, for instance, I type
> cd /
> and press TAB.
> See below:
> ssh: Could not resolve hostname fcp: Name or service not known
> Process *tramp/scp fcp* exited abnormally with code 255

the TAB puts a colon in , as your code instructed it to do,
which now is interpreted as  " /: " and seen as a sign to invoke tramp, but
there is no hostname, so it exits with that error.

auto-completion does have its drawbacks sometimes with unintended

/hostname:/ will open a ssh-link to HOSTNAME and prompt you for a

put in ~/.emacs:
;;; (setq shell-prompt-pattern ":")

Wich means the prompt-pattern of the shell of the machine you connect TO.

Put this line (for unix) or some other Windows smb equivalent prompt
in your .emacs is important here, otherwise tramp will wait
(and block emacs) for minutes.

You can preset some hosts like:
;;;(add-to-list 'tramp-default-method-alist '("hostname-1" "user1" "smb"))
;;;(add-to-list 'tramp-default-method-alist '("hostname-2" "user2" "ssh")

see more about tramp here:

        Mijn Tools zijn zo modern dat ze allemaal eindigen op 'saurus'
        (defvar My-Computer '((OS . "GNU/Emacs") (IPL . "GNU/Linux")))
             SPAM DELENDA EST
                 1st Law of surviving a gunfight : Have a gun