Re: Problem with eshell

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Problem with eshell
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:27:11 +0200

Am 06.10.2008 um 17:25 schrieb Adolfo De Unanue:

I downloaded -again- the version from cvs.

Why? Can't you use the cvs programme to update the source code (M-x cvs-up RET)? And which Linux variant is the package?

Launching GNU Emacs with -Q and then typing M-x eshell RET to invoke the ls command finally produces no failure in Mac OS X 10.4.11 with Athena/Xaw3d or in Aqua/GNUStep clothes.

Is your disk OK or has it some self-modifying active sectors? Can you you launch GNU Emacs from a shell with minimal environment and LANG/ LC_* set to a minimal C? IMO your GNU Linux system is defective – or do you have some "customisation" file/RC file for eshell? Eshell, term, or shell always load their RC files since they're loading an external shell interpreter. I prefer to use *shell* and in it tcsh, so when I launch GNU Emacs with -Q and then start the *shell* buffer/ process it at once loads ~/.emacs_tcsh. And tcsh *obviously* load its RC files since I have aliases!

--
Greetings

  Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start selling vacuum cleaners.
                                – Ernest Jan Plugge