Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:49:08 +0200

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Pony <lingyu.ma.fu@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
> buffer under the current one, the Emacs will cut the whole window into
> two vertical ones, each takes 50% space of the screen.
>
> However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
> monitor for programming, in my opinion it will be much better that,
> after we run "C-x 4" commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two
> HORIZONTALL screens.
>
> Of course, people could open a new file first with "C-x 4 f" command,
> and close it, and run "C-x 3" command to cut the whole screen
> horizontally and show it in the second window. But it takes some
> operations, which will be happened frequently when programming.
>
> Is there a fast and direct way to make all the "C-x 4" commands
> default cut the window HORIZONTALLY, or not?  Especially when you're
> compiling, make the compiling result show in the window right to the
> code window!!

Emacs 23.X does this automatically if the current display width is
larger than a customizable threshold:

,---[ C-h v split-width-threshold RET ]--------------------------------
| split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.
| Its value is 160
|
| Documentation:
| Minimum width of window to be split horizontally.
| If the value is a number, `display-buffer' can split a window
| only if it has at least as many columns.  If the value is nil,
| `display-buffer' cannot split a window horizontally.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Emacs 22.X installation handy today, so
it may be worth checking if your version of Emacs includes this option.