delete window help

From: bbrady
Subject: delete window help
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 09:57:58 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I want to use the delete-window function to delete a certain window
without having to switch to that window first. Here is an example:

I start a fresh emacs session. Then I do split-window-horizontally
( \C-x 3 ). In the left most window, I then do, split-window ( \C-x
2 ). Now I have the following window configuration:

----------------------
|          |          |
|    a    |          |
| _____|     b   |
|          |          |
|     c   |          |
|          |          |
----------------------

Now I want to change that configuration to:
----------------------
|          |          |
|          |          |
|     a   |    b    |
|          |          |
|          |          |
|          |          |
----------------------

There are 2 ways I know of to do this:
1) switch to window 'c' and call delete-window
2) switch to either window 'a' or 'b' and call delete-other-windows,
then split-window-horizontally, and switch to the appropriate buffer
('b' or 'a', respectively)

I want to do this without switching away from window 'a'. Is this
possible? I think it is, but I'm not sure how to do it. The delete-
window function takes an optional argument 'window'. So, I should be
able to delete whatever window I want, just as long as I have the
correct 'window'. Any ideas on how I can get the correct 'window'? Or
any other solutions to this?

Thanks for any help,

bbrady