Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:25:14 +0100

   Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

   > Paul R <paul.r.ml@gmail.com> writes:
   >
   >> Dear Xavier,
   >>
   >> Xavier> What's more, directional keys are one of the dumbest addition
   >> Xavier> one could have thought off (in my opinion). The same apply for
   >> Xavier> numerical keypad: what are they useful for exactly ? Is it that
   >> Xavier> hard to press shift+& (for the azerty keyboard) to get a 1 ? Or
   >> Xavier> press C-b to move point left ? I do not think so.
   >>
   >> Xavier> The real reason that comes to mind is lazyness. People do not
   >> Xavier> want to (take time to) learn how to do things, they want to go
   >> Xavier> fast (even if they go fast wrongly). Keyboard (or typing more
   >> Xavier> generally) is just an example, there are so many other applying
   >> Xavier> here...
   >>
   >> This sounds sooo much like overstated elitism. You may prefer to use C-b
   >> and C-f and S-&, because you're so good and so l33t, this will never
   >> change the point : beginners don't, period. Default settings must help
   >> those people, who have not yet set their .emacs, to use and try the
   >> software and see if they like it or not.
   >
   > That's pretty much as I see it too. And only recently having become
   > proficient enough with emacs once again I can attest to the difficulties
   > involved in understanding some of the more antiquated defaults which do
   > not take into account beginners. It takes a special kind of curmudgeon
   > to deny that setting the arrow keys to move the cursor the same as
   > virtually every other application in the world would help Emacs uptake.

   My only issue with making the arrow keys the default setting is that it
   forces me to take my hands away from the home keys. I don't like using
   page-up and page-down for the same reason.

   I'd have no objection as long as the standard cursor movement keys (C-n
   C-p C-f and C-b) are also enabled.

That is exactly what I wanted to mean in the first place. Gha, if
only my english was better ! Thank you for the sum up :)

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org