Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: Emacs, oldsters, newbiness
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 08:32:29 +0100

tyler> This being the case, what's to stop anyone from lifting content
tyler> for inclusion in other documents with compatible licenses?

As far as emacs code is concerned, the FSF wants the code to be under
a free licence, but it also wants to hold the copyright. Why ? Because
the FSF makes new licences on a constant basis, ans only the copyright
owner is allowed to change the licence.

tyler> If such activity actually requires individual contributors
tyler> actively assigning copyright, then the footer is wrong and needs
tyler> to be corrected.

No, the footer is right, GPLV2 is all about distribution permissions,
not about copyright holding, which is the real problem I suspect.

But I'm not sure, anybody to confirm that the FSF applies the same
policy for documentation ?

--
  Paul