Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:04:24 +0000

Morning, Xah!

On Thu, Nov 06, 2008 at 05:01:12PM -0800, Xah wrote:
> On Nov 6, 8:32 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> > A happy post-USA-election day to you, Xah!

> it is fantastic that Obama won!

And yesterday in Scotland, the Labour party, the party of British
government, held on to their parliamentary seat for Glenrothes, against
the strong expectation that the Scottish National Party, the party of
Scottish government, would win it.

> > I think, by his description, he does.  "Touch type" meaning "not
> > having to look at the keyboard to type".

> using 6 fingers instead 10 is not considered touch typing.

"Is not considered" :-).  I don't think we should be so concerned to
divide people (or even things) into categories.  Pluto is just the same
lump of rock and ice it always was, whether we call it a planet or not.

Of course, there's also the possibility that the man only has 6 usable
fingers.  It works for him.

> > Well, this "tech geeker", me (who is possibly your biggest fan
> > amongst all "tech geekers" ;-), does indeed touch type.  He has also
> > used various versions of MS Windows extensively, and has dabbled on a
> > Mac from time to time.

> Recently you asked me a bunch of questions on Aquamac in
> ???comp.lang.lisp???. I was surprised you didn't know the answers for
> someone who insists on some opinions about emacs UI.  Aquamacs is
> relevant because it modernize emacs wholesale and it is probably most
> popular emacs on the Mac platform.

I don't know any Mac Emacs users, so I couldn't comment on its
popularity.

But we've had this discussion several times.  Modern isn't necessarily
better.  Modern is easier for newbies familiar with other programs to
learn, but there's no evidence that, once learnt, it's any better than
the classic Emacs UI.  Do you address this matter anywhere in your online
essays?  My own experience is that Emacs's classic UI is much better.
One reason to believe Emacs UI should be superior is that it was
developed by the people who use it, for their own use.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).