Re: Using Emacs to connect to a console

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Using Emacs to connect to a console
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:58:09 +0100

Am 13.11.2008 um 16:07 schrieb Decebal:

On 13 nov, 15:10, Decebal <CLDWester...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have an Asus EEEPC. I would like to use it to connect to an openVMS
machine on the console (the RS232 port). Is this possible?

To work on the console I should use an ANSI-terminal. VT100 is good
enough.

Then launch M-x terminal-emulator RET – and maybe look into a recent thread on the screen utility.

I don't think GNU Emacs has built-in support for serial, parallel, USB, FireWire, and other ports. Serial communication can done with Kermit, for example. It would need a good terminal emulation like the one offered by terminal-emulator.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.