Re: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:08:36 +0100

>> > I did not miss your point. Perhaps you missed mine. New
>> > users should be encouraged to join emacs-devel if they are
>> > interested in how Emacs might be improved. That is where
>> > they can give their views about it and hear from others
>> > about it. That list was created precisely for that, among other
>> > things.
>>
>> I think we are missing each others since I strongly disagree with your
>> point. I do not think emacs-devel is the place for newbies to ask such
>> questions. Here is.
>
> What does "such questions" refer to? I never mentioned any questions at all. I
> certainly never suggested that newbies should ask questions about how to use
> Emacs at emacs-devel. When they do so, I send them here. ;-)
>
> help-gnu-emacs is a _good_ place to ask questions about Emacs - that's what
> it's
> for. I said so explicitly.

Sorry to snip so aggressively  but the bottom line really is "this is
how it is" not "how it maybe should be if all groups were used
properly". The development list/group does not feature lots of new users
whose input IS important when discussing such issues. The help group
does feature these users. These new users do not and generally will not
subscribe to the development list since they do not realise they are
in fact contributing to "development" when expressing their confusion
about certain emacs idiosyncrasies.

Should new development be discussed in the devel group? Of course.

Does that preclude certain things being discussed in the context of help
threads here in the help group? Certainly not.