Re: how to use emacsclient with a remote host?

From: Federico Ramallo
Subject: Re: how to use emacsclient with a remote host?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 02:07:12 -0200

while doing this detailed steps, i could solve the original issue.
however I can connect with a tty client, but not with a client on X.
I'll show you the steps i did. I reduced this to a simplified test
scenario:
MY GOAL: i use screen to share emacs remotely. Now we are using screen
and emacs on tty. But we want to improve it to have two emacs running on
different hosts on X. Sharing buffers, but the process should run on the
remote host and sync via tcp with server-mode.

In ubuntu 8.04 and GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (check env below)
I have 2 users on the same host: framallo and federico
I'm logged in as framallo. I create two tabs on a terminal emulator. One
has a screen session as framallo and the other i run:
ssh federico@localhost -Y
screen -S testingemacs

Both user has the same on ~/.screenrc
hardstatus on
hardstatus alwayslastline
hardstatus string "%{rk}%H %{gk}%c %{yk}%M%d %{wk}%?%-Lw%?%{bw}%n*%f%t
%?(%u)%?%{wk}%?%+Lw%?"

vbell off
defscrollback 1000
term xterm

# enable scrolling in the xterm
termcapinfo xterm|xterms|xs|rxvt ti@:te@

screen -t console
screen -t emacs emacs -nw
screen -t root sudo -s
------------------

On /home/framallo/.emacs

(setq server-host "1420n")
(setq server-use-tcp t)
(server-start)
-----------------
i run:

framallo@1420n:~$ cat .emacs.d/server/server
127.0.0.1:34765 7483
... (a one line text)
framallo@1420n:~$ scp -r .emacs.d/server/server
federico@1420n:.emacs.d/server

Now i got to federico's tab:

federico@1420n:~$ cat .emacs.d/server/server
127.0.0.1:34765 7483
... (same one line text)

federico@1420n:~$ emacsclient -c -t
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: connected to remote socket at 192.168.0.150
Waiting for Emacs...
(and a big wow! emacs client is working!)
(But doesn't work with emacsclient running on X)
federico@1420n:~$ emacsclient -c
emacsclient: can't find socket; have you started the server?
To start the server in Emacs, type "M-x server-start".
emacsclient: connected to remote socket at 192.168.0.150
Waiting for Emacs...^[[A
*ERROR*: Display =1420n:10 can't be opened

After playing around i had a Fatal error (11)Segmentation fault and
everything crashed :( snif i was having so much fun

I had problems with security on /dev/pts/1 (or other numbers)
i solved it like this:
chmod 777 /dev/pts -R
It's unsecure, not fancy, but it works.

ENV:
root@1420n:~# aptitude search emacs | grep "i "
i   emacs-extra
i   emacs-intl-fonts
i   emacs-jabber
i   emacs-lisp-intro
i   emacs-snapshot
i A emacs-snapshot-bin-common
i A emacs-snapshot-common
i   emacs-snapshot-el
i   emacs-snapshot-gtk
i   emacs-snapshot-nox
i   emacs-wiki
i A emacsen-common

Any ideas how to debug the segmentation fault?
Thanks
Federico Ramallo

--
Federico Ramallo <framallo@gmail.com>