Re: redirect stdout to emacs scratch

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: redirect stdout to emacs scratch
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 15:43:50 GMT

Chetan (2008-12-08 07:22 -0800) wrote:

> pagod <dvergnaud@yahoo.com> writes:
>> pagod> echo "hello, world" | emacs

I believe there is not any nice way to do this.

> You can run it quite simply within the eshell prompt inside emacs.
> M-x eshell
> eshell$ echo "foo" >> #<buffer *scratch*>
> eshell$ myprog >> #<buffer *scratch*>
> echell$ echo "bar" >> #<buffer *scratch*>

Another and perhaps more obvious solution is to run shell commands with
M-1 M-! command while in the *scratch* buffer. For example:

    M-1 M-! echo "foo"

It can actually be any prefix argument for M-!, not just number 1, but
M-1 is a good choice when ! is in the same key as 1.