Re: redirect stdout to emacs scratch

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: redirect stdout to emacs scratch
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 04:59:31 +0100

pagod wrote:
hi everyone!

this is probably a very easy question (there has to be a way!), but i
haven't been able to find the answer, so i'm turning to this forum, hoping
someone can give me a hint!

what i want to do is very simple: i want to be able to redirect the stdout
of any program on the command line into emacs' scratch buffer -- the way it
works with less or joe or whatever. i want to do it with emacs because i'm
used to using it and i need syntax coloring, but when i try it i get the
message "standard input is not a tty". then what is it? the way i've tried
it is quite the usual way:

pagod> echo "hello, world" | emacs
emacs: standard input is not a tty

$ tty
/dev/pts/1

$ ls | tty
not a tty

You could pick up the piped input, put it somewhere and make emacs read
it after the pipe finished and input comes again from the terminal.

alias emacs-with-stdin='cat > /tmp/emacs_stdin ; emacs -nw -Q --eval "(insert-file
\"/tmp/emacs_stdin\")"'

This works in bash, I don't know about zsh.

-ap

my emacs is aliased to "emacs -nw" because i'm in a terminal, so the option
is assumed by default anyway. i'm using the no-window version of emacs
because i run it from within an ssh session running zsh on a linux server,
connecting using putty from a windows workstation. emacs version is 22.2.1,
running in a SuSE 11.0.

it'd be great if someone could help me do that!

thx a lot

David