Re: Getting Info to find extra pkgs not in normal path

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: Getting Info to find extra pkgs not in normal path
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:37:38 +0100

Harry Putnam wrote:
Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

It's there but not in the 'dir' file :

(info "stumpwm")

dir files will be merged by emacs, so you can create
one for your local additions. Probably by copying the
systems one from /usr/share/info/dir or wherever, delete
all entries after '* Menu:' and put in your own.

(info "(texinfo)Other Info Directories")

That section shows several ways to do it, but I find at least two of
them don't seem to work for me... probably something I'm doing wrong.

Before posting here about it I had tried to extend INFOPATH in my
~/.bashrc file like this:

  grep INFO ~/.bashrc
  INFOPATH=$INFOPATH:/usr/local/src/stumpwm:/usr/local/gnus/texi

  The Stand Alone info reader finds stumpwm but emacs does not

Eval (info "stumpwm") ,I am shure it'll work.

Using the approach of adding my own dir file.  (inlined below) at
/usr/local/info/dir, inside a freshly started emacs
`C-h i m stumpwm' fails

My attempt appears to follow the example given:
 `
   * Test: (/home/bob/info/info-test).  Bob's own test file. '

On the stumpwm line shown here the address ends in the top level
directory. The info file is directly under there. I  also tried (not
shown here) by putting the complete file name:
   (/usr/local/src/stumpwm/stumpwm.info)

Do you see something wrong in both or either of my attempts (including
the INFO path approach?

  cat /usr/local/info/dir

  Local info files (updates by user reader)

  * Stumpwm: (/usr/local/src/stumpwm/stumpwm.info).  stump manual.

The dir file has to have a special header format. Just copy the systems one
into a directory in INFOPATH, erase everything afer '*Menu ' and put in
your own stuff.

-ap