Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:41:04 +0100

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> course if you know about Emacs client/server that is not a problem in
>>> most cases (though someone gave an example with su that would not work
>>> in this case).
>>
>> A strange set up IMO. I'm still not sure why emacs can not be configured
>> to check for a daemon/server. Having to use emacsclient to connect seems
>> rather long winded but I'm sure there is a good reason for it.
>
> Emacs client starts very quickly.

I think you misunderstand what I meant : I agree with you, as I
specifically stated in the previous post

,----
| It does. And if you use emacs -daemon and emacsclient -c almost
| immediately :-;
`----

What I meant by "check for a daemon/server" is that when you press your
normal emacs icon, or type "emacs" it has to be doctored to connect to
the daemon and to start one if one is not already running. It would seem
(to me at any rate) that the the base could be configured to have
"emacs" start as a client if a server is running. If not, start emacs
and start a server.

Possibly you can help me with one small issue I have with the server setup:

I find the EDITOR/ALTERNATE_EDITOR method ok generally where my emacs alias is
"emacsclient -c". This opens a new frame. But how to open a *new* buffer
in an emacs without using a new frame or even just bring emacs to the
foreground by jumping to the current buffer window? One can not just run
"emacsclient" from the command line or an icon. It says file name or
argument required. And I dont want a new frame all the time especially
since I started using XMonad which is a tiled Window
Manager. "emacsclient filename" works fine of course. Ideally I would
like the "emacsclient -c" functionality but without it creating a new
frame - rather a scratct buffer in the existing frame.

>> Sounds nice. Which model? I'm looking for one too. But it'll be a Linux
>> one for sure.
>
> We are not supposed to mention specific brands here. (Ask me privately
> if you want to.)I am however going to buy one of those with a large

I need to drop you some lines soon about nxhtml issues so will so :-;