Re: struggling with gnus imap

From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: Re: struggling with gnus imap
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:12:45 +0100

Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@bornier.net> wrote :

| Roger Mason <rmason@mun.ca> wrote :
>
| | Hello,
| >
| | I'm (still) trying to get gnus to let me use IMAP to read my email on
| | our university server.
| >
| | I have this in .gnus:
| >
| | (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
| |       '(
| |     (nnml "")
| |     (nnimap "mail.mun.ca" (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX")))
| |     ))
| >
| | When I try to subscribe using U in the *Group* buffer I get this:
| >
| | gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't activate group mail.mun.ca: 411 No
| | such group mail.mun.ca
| >
| | I also tried subscribing to INBOX, with the same result.  Can someone
| | tell me what I'm doing wrong?
| >
| | Thanks,
| | Roger
>
| I have this:
>
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "Maison"
|  (nnimap-address "my.server.net")
| (nnimap-server-port 993)
| (nnimap-stream ssl)
|  (nnimap-authenticator login)
| (nnimap-authinfo-file "/home/jean/.authinfo"))))
>
| Not everything is necessary, but the second line is; this is where you put
| the internet name of the imap server. The name after "nnimap" on line 1 is
| internal to your box.
>
| Cheers,

Roger said, privately:
I now have this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
     '(
        (nnml "")
        (nnimap "MUN"
         (nnimap-stream ssl)
         (nnimap-address "mail.mun.ca")
         (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
         (nnir-search-engine imap))
        ))

When I start gnus should I not be able to subscribe to MUN using 'U'?
It does not work, I see *: MUN appear in the group buffer but when i
try to open the group I get 411 no such group.

What do you see when you "open server buffer" (use "^" in gnus to do that)?

--
Jean