Re: compilation output has many nonprintable characters, what shall I do

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: compilation output has many nonprintable characters, what shall I do?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:30:49 +0000

patiobarbecue wrote:
Dear there,

I use M-x compile, followed by make -k, and the output always contains many
nonprintable characters like this:

decomp.cpp:460: error: ‘setw’ was not declared in this scope
decomp.cpp:460: error: ‘setprecision’ was not declared in this scope

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Patio,

Try using  "LOCALE=C make -k"
without the quotes as your build command.
GCC tries to use smartquotes if locale supports it.
However Emacs tends to get confused with them.

The above command tells GCC that the shell (emacs)
doesn't support smart quotes.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.