Re: Emacs's popularity (was: Distributed Maintenance for Emacs)

From: Sean Sieger
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity (was: Distributed Maintenance for Emacs)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:37:19 -0500

    A tool with a shrinking user base also has a shrinking pool of potential
    developers that will continue to make it better.  Fewer developers to
    make it better will make it less competitive with other tools causing it to
    lose more users.  And so on.  There are also fewer people to file
    bug reports and help other users with problems.

I'm a craftsman by trade and um---the tool thing jumped out at me
here---I gotta tell ya, people that use a tool that use developed, not a
tool that someone just picked up ... and changed.