Re: Vi-like end of buffer in emacs?

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Vi-like end of buffer in emacs?
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 03:07:55 -0800

On Jan 3, 2009, at 1:22 AM, wlcna wrote:

"Ian Eure" <ian@digg.com> wrote...
You want fringe-mode. M-x customize-group RET fringe RET.

It doesn't show actual characters in the buffer like vi does, but has a graphic on the edge.

Thanks! I figured someone probably had an easy fix for this. I tried it out a bit. Not as nice as vim, but it's OK. Not sure why it shows the little marks on the last line of the file when you can type on that line, but it's OK.

I noticed though that I have to have this customize group thing instead of more straightforwardly using lisp to set this in my init file code... (fringe-mode) can be put in my init file, but the only argument is the size of the fringe and no args for fact that I want to show empty lines.

But anyway, customize works, though I avoid that customize stuff, just coming back to emacs now - it irks me and seems opposed to the idea of all the lisp integration...

Anything you set via customize can be done with elisp. Open fringe.el and look for (defcustom). Alternately, you can pull the definitions out of the (custom-set-variables) block and make them regular (setq) calls.

Nothing wrong with customize, in my opinion.

 - Ian