jumping thru sexp and if fi

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: jumping thru sexp and if fi
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:00:26 -0600

I'm pretty sure I should know this... but may have forgotten or never
knew.

I'm having trouble with a shell script, and need to jump thru various
parts of it.

forward-sexp follows the {...} notations and paren matching takes care
of (...) but what can I do to follow
the if... fi statements or even between double quotes "...".  The
syntax highlight is apparently fooled, since I don't see any problems
indicated there.

I'm getting an error (from the homeboy script) that indicates the
script does not expect a certain `}' on a specific line number.

Staring at the section and going through it.  I can't find the error.
Emacs syntax highlight apparently can't either, and using forward-sexp
just jumps to the suspect `}' from its beginning bracket.  So I'm
looking for ways to find the problem by making sure all notations like

   {,(,if,"
that require companions are complete.