Re: Kill Customize Entries in .emacs

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: Kill Customize Entries in .emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 22:19:52 -0600

Les Harris <me@lesharris.com> writes:
> I have not yet figured out the trigger but often emacs is writing
> entries for custom-set-variables and custom-set-faces into my .emacs
> file.
>
> I prefer not to use the customization system in emacs and would like
> these entries to never appear in my init file.
>
> Is there anyway to stop emacs from trying to insert these things?

The variable `custom-file' controls where your customizations are
saved.  You can set this to some other file, in which case
customizations that get set by various means will accumulate in that
other file, but will not clutter your .emacs.

You could try setting `custom-file' to /dev/null.  I do not know what
would happen in this case, as I have never tested it, but I would expect
it to cause Emacs to happily make saving customizations a no-op on
Unix-like systems.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.