Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:14:45 -0700

I missed the first part of the thread and also don't seem to have
doc-view, as I am on a mac and do not have emacs 23, but this is
fantastic functionality.

Even in X, and whether links are opened from w3m or from ido or from a
link in org-mode, I will normally want pdf to open in emacs as text,
with a command available to run an external viewer.  Preferably the
external viewer can be chosen at the time of following the original
link OR as a separate command after you have already run the emacs
version.

Again, I am out of the loop, but wouldn't the normal way to be to have
a variable that allows something like  'emacs-only, 'external-only,
'when-gui as options?

Apologies for noise if this is irrelevant.

> I think most of the time nobody wants to view a pdf/ps/dvi as plain
> text.  So my general advice would be: Use doc-view in X11 frames, but do

Except for the silent users who need plain text for accessibility reasons!

--
For personal and corporate gain, myalgic encephalomyelitis denialists
are knowingly causing massive suffering and 25-years-early death by