Re: build a macro that opens a directory and prompts for file name

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: build a macro that opens a directory and prompts for file name
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 05:45:55 -0500

Stefan Kamphausen <skampi@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>> FYI, you can also just use Emacs (yes, Emacs) command
>> `cd' to change the `default-directory' at any time. No
>> need to open a Dired buffer.
>
> FWIW, cdargs ([1]please excuse the self-ad) offers a kind
> of bookmarks for the shell and ships with some elisp to
> use the cdargs bookmarks from Emacs, too.
>
> Cheers, Stefan
>
> Footnotes: [1]
> http://www.skamphausen.de/cgi-bin/ska/CDargs
>
> -- Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de a
> blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand) You hit.
> The format string crumbles and turns to dust.

Bookmarks, which I use, work great for small numbers of
files. But since I generate tons of small files, I keep an
index list of files, with their descriptions, plus the
entire path and file name for that file. So they look
something like this:

/home/rod/vacation.txt How I spent my summer vacation.

I have a macro that copies the entire file name and path and
pastes it into C-x C-f. I've bound it to a function key so
my index kind of works like a hyperlink.

Rod