Re: Selecting default prompt text

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Selecting default prompt text
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:35:40 +0100

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

>>> (let ((url-at-point (thing-at-point 'url)))
>>>   (read-string (if url-at-point
>>>                (format "URL (%s): " url-at-point)
>>>            nil nil url-at-point))
>>
>> Hi Kevin,
>>
>> Sorry if I was not clear. I don't mean a default value - I mean
>> pre-selected as in "in region". e.g when you tab to a field in a web
>> form for example - The data in the field is highlighted/selected. I
>> already had a default value set as "url" in the code above.
>>
>> e.g
>>
>> goto www.Google.com
>>
>> enter some text and tab to a button then tab back. The text in the
>> search field is selected.
>>

> Something like this ?
>
> (defun minibuffer-select-inital-input ()
>   (let ((start (next-single-char-property-change 1 'read-only)))
>     (when (< start (point-max))
>       (set-mark start)
>       (setq mark-active t))))
>
> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'minibuffer-select-inital-input)
> (read-string "> " "Hallo")
>
> -ap

Yes, thanks. But I released I was hoping for too much here since
region/mark etc works so many different ways depending on settings. As
"dim" in the #emacs said, probably best to rely on C-a C-k. e.g With my
setting hitting right arrow there results in "end of buffer" error.

Thanks for your time though!