multiple languages in one file, nxhtml-mode...

From: Marko Myllymaki
Subject: multiple languages in one file, nxhtml-mode...
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 13:19:35 +0200

I'm trying to get nxhtml-mode to work - it would really help editing
documents with many different code blocks...  I need at least correct
indenting of code lines, line wrap and syntax hilighting say with php,
xhtml, css, javascript, xml... automatic validation when editing is not
so important...

If someone could suggest "simpler mode" to achieve these goals, I would
really appreciate that.

Previously I used only PHP-mode (and others for other languages) but it
does not work with multiple source code blocks.

Problems with nxhtml-mode:
I load a file called something.php which has php-blocks <? ?> and xhtml
and possibly javascript... When I scroll it, emacs mode line changes the
context (PHP/nxhtml - nXhtml/nxhtml) quite nicely.

But then... when editing

Problems: lots of lisp or other errors interrupt editing and drive me
crazy, like:

"Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
   rng-after-change-function(384 385 0)
   self-insert-command(1)
   newline(nil)
   call-interactively(newline nil nil)"

"Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"

What are these?

Font lock mode does usually not work - syntax hilighting does not always
change when changing code blocks...

My environment:
Debian Linux
GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.12) of
2009-02-22 on elegiac, modified by Debian
(emacs snapshot... but v22 did not work either)
nXhtml mode version 1.75
nXML mode version 20041004