Re: Vertical window split by default

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: Vertical window split by default
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:34:47 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hi,
> When I execute a shell command such as grep or make emacs
> automatically splits the screen horizontally and executes the command
> on the right hand side.
> How can I get it to split vertically and execute the command on the
> lower window?
> Thanks,
> -Etay

If you're using emacs 23, you can adjust the value of

Here's the documentation:

: split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.
: Its value is 192
: Documentation:
: Minimum width of window to be split horizontally.
: If the value is a number, `display-buffer' can split a window
: only if it has at least as many columns.  If the value is nil,
: `display-buffer' cannoCt split a window horizontally.
: You can customize this variable.
: This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
: version 23.1 of Emacs.

I have it set to a value wider than my current diminutive moniter (MSI
Wind netbook) can handle, and the splits are now occurring vertically
instead of horizontally.

- Chris

     (.   .)
  Chris McMahan | address@hidden