RE: Boldifing all faces?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Boldifing all faces?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:52:44 -0700

> On 21 Mar, 00:06, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> > Not sure whether all will inherit this - what's wrong with
> > giving GNU Emacs a bold face font as default?
>
> Already done that: some faces are still regular. I'm having such a
> problem at work only, under Windows XP, whilst at home, under Linux,
> boldifing the default font works.

Some possible reasons that occur to me why a face might not reflect a weight
change to `bold' for the `default' face:

1. It somehow doesn't inherit from `default'. (Is this possible?)

2. Its definition specifically overrides the inherited weight value (`bold').

3. Its font doesn't have bold support.

The reason might be something else, which doesn't occur to me. Try to discover
what it is by looking at the particular faces that don't seem to work.

My guess is the problem is #3. Windows typically has very different fonts. I see
this for some font families I use: they just don't support bold.

But I expect that someone truly knowledgeable will at some point speak up and
let you know the real story. ;-)

> I'll try to map a boldifing function over all defined faces. Maybe by
> looking at "customize-face" I can find out the enumerating function.

The first question is whether it even helps to specifically set the weight
attribute for one of the problematic faces to `bold'. I'm guessing it won't help
(because I'm guessing it's a font problem). If that's the case, then your
iteration approach won't help.