Re: Working with different projects in Emacs

From: rustom
Subject: Re: Working with different projects in Emacs
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 11, 11:30 pm, Vagn Johansen <gonz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > [Sorry for earlier post without content]
> > If I have the line
> > (setq vps-project-dir "~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps")
>
> You don't really have to change the vps-project-dir. It just the
> location of the cached filelists, tags files, etc.
>
> But it should be OK to change it.
>
> > in my vps setup
> > I get File /home/siva/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps/Org.tags is not a valid tags
> > table
> > when I try to do vps-change-project
>
> > It seems to work if vps-project-dir is not set
>
> Whenever I see "not a valid tags table" it is because I have generated
> a TAGS file in a format that emacs does not understand.
>
> So maybe you managed to build TAGS files with Exhuberant tags(*)
> (without the -e option) when vps-project-dir had the first value,
> changed vps-project-dir and then you did something that generates
> proper emacs tags files.
>
> If you the delete  ~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps and set vps-project-dir to
> ~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps again it would probably work. But if it works
> there is not much gained in changing anything.

> (*)http://ctags.sourceforge.net/ctags.html
>
> --
> Vagn Johansen

I did
rm -rf ~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps
Made sure that my init.el contains

(setq vps-project-dir "~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps")
(require 'vps)

Restarted emacs
M-x vps-change-project Org ;; org is one project Ive set

gives
~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps/Org.tags is not a vaild tags table
[Looking inside ~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps shows an Org.txt but no
Org.tags]

Now I comment out the line
(setq vps-project-dir "~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps")
Close emacs
Remove directory
~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps
Make sure theres no directory ~/.emacs_vps
Restart emacs
emacs asks me
Create necessary directory ~/.emacs_vps
I say yes

Then M-x vps-change-project
No problem
M-i l
shows me my files (in that project)
Note that now .emacs_vps shows both
Org.txt and Org.tags

My conclusion is that the tags making part of vps is having
~/.emacs_vps hardcoded though the rest (Project.txt) is picked up from
vps-project-dir

Now to verify that:
Keep both dirs, remove all their contents
Restart emacs
As expected vps-change-project gives
~/.emacs.d/.emacs/vps/Org.tags
not a valid tags table

Confirm that ~/.emacs.d/.emacs_vps contains an Org.txt file but no
Org.tags file
(And ~/.emacs_vps is empty)